LaurieKnits

Monday, December 12, 2005

Opinions Please?

I have got quite a bit of the sweater body done, but now I'm thinking of starting over. I had an idea to make the sleeves more decorative, very simple, but something other than plain knit stitch. I like it so much, I decided I might try it with the body too. Which leads to one of the funny questions where I believe personality and knitting meet. Frogging.

How do you feel about it (if you are a non-knitter, an explanation - the term Frogging comes from the play on words," What do you do when you don't like the knitting? You rip it. Rip it = ribbit = frog noise = frogging). Personally I find it freeing and I like it. Unlike in life, you can take something ugly that you made a mistake on, rip it out, start all over and end with something even better. My mother reacts with horror at my willingness to rip out my work. To her, I think it makes her think of a lot of hard work wasted, and a project that was close to completion being far from started, all over again.

Me, I love the start of projects so that doesn't bother me. And I know what would bother me is to look at something I'd done and think "yeah, I could have done better on that, that isn't the best I could have done at the
time." I know it won't be perfect and I don't care about that, but I'd like to do the best I can with what skill I have at the time. And I have learned so much from this attitude with knitting.

So, what I am thinking of doing is ripping out the body and putting a line or maybe two lines of garter stitch on the sweater. similar to the detail that I added to the sleeve, which you can see here.

I've included a sketch of the idea so you can see what I mean. And, I wonder about the back as well, should I put the stripe in that? I'd love to hear from any knitter and non-knitters, both about the idea of ripping out your work and what it means, and what you think of my modification for the sweater? Should I go for it?

In addition I'd encourage everyone to give this site a try and find out what your battle cry might be, shared with me from my friend Michelle... (Profanity is included if that bugs you)

http://chaz.bdmonkeys.net/battle.php

I'd love to hear your battlecries too.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Steph said...

I personally don't like frogging....usually driven to it by having made an unfixable mistake!

I like the idea of the stripy garter stitch sections-- I think it'll be simple but effective.

btw I've tagged you with a holiday list...it's on my tri blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home