LaurieKnits

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Knitting for Me


I've finally been able to start a little knitting for me now that christmas is over. I am using the purple possum fur yarn my parents gave me to make Coronet b,from a back issue of Knitty. It is a hat pattern that consists of a cabled band around the ears, like a head band, then you pick up stitches and just knit it like a stocking cap. This means you have a double layer over your ears for extra warmth, since the brim folds up.

(picture model/photo: A. Virgiel, from the Knitty issue linked above)

I wanted the cable, and hence the brim to be a bit wider, therefore I added one extra stitch to everything - so my cable looks fatter and wider, which I like. Knitting cables is alot of fun. I've been trying to do it without refering to the pattern too much, trying to make cables become more intuitive for me. Some progress made, definitely. Here is a scan of the cable-in-proogress. I am enjoying the yarn, it has a curiously solid , spaghetti like texture - you don't feel or notice strands or plys - it is one consistent tube, much like the width of a spaghetti noodle.

I'm wondering if I should wash and block the cable headband part before picking up stitches around the edge, so things are even, and hence the stitches are picked up evenly. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!

And finally, as a special treat to my family, these pictures of Pat's kitten, named, uhm.. Kitten - Just because she looks exactly like my childhood kitty Travis.
Now really, how cute is this... Damn the Paparazzi! I know I am beautiful, but why must they torment me?

1 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Pretty color and nice cable work!!!
Funny that I printed out the exact same pattern two weeks ago that I would like to make it from the yarn you gave me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home