LaurieKnits

Friday, June 30, 2006

reusing the scary yarn colours...


I posted on knitty about a dye question I have so I'm putting the yarn pictures up, but don't have time for a full message...

These are the two problem yarns. I would like to uset them but I hate the colours. The colours in the picture look a bit better than in real life. The one on the left is really more orange than the nearly-red it looks here. And its like glowish nearly neon orange.

To the right the yarn is more off the true colour - the real thing is sort of a nearly mustard nearly pumpkin colour.





These are some of my other recent dying attempts using food colouring or kool-aid, or both. Some yarns I tried contain all natural fibres or at least a precentage of nautral fibres. I also tried it on "non-natural" yarns like acrylic, though the instructions I read don't recommend dyeing yarn from synthetic fibres, I gave it a try anyway, and I got okish results.



The colours just didn't seem to soak in as well, you end up with a pastel version instead of the richer colours achieved by the natural fibres.

The picture has the original in the middle , a slightly off white acrylic yarn, and to the left a light blue dye that some purple got into, so it is almost a greyish lilac. The yarn to the right is the same, but with a green dye.


The next picture shows the same green dye as above results in a richer colour when there is natural fibre present - also the underlying original colour of the yarn is beige so that tones down the green to a more earthy colour like moss.












The picture opposite is originally a blue white flecked Opal Sock yarn - maybe called Petticoat.I put it int0 a green dye bath and it came out really funky - the green really acentuated the contrast between the coloured yarn and the previously white bits. I believe this yarn has alot or at least some animal fibre.












My favourite so far is the handspun yarn*shown below, original on left, which was really more of a grey colour under normal lights. I was given this as a gift - it was really a pretty colour in the first place, but as to wearing colours I try to about soft colurs or pastels as they are pale and I am pale and I end up looking like zombie ghost girl...

2 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

Hi the colours look great on screen. I guess if you didn't like them maybe you could use them to knit something like the uglies at the gallery in a previous post (which are rather cute - but if you used "ugly" colours for "uglies" you never know what you might end up with). Good Luck

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Marifetane hobi said...

hii friend.your blog very nice please,you can add your friend list me to..have a nice day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home